Thursday, October 21, 2010

Small Wonders

I have a weird history with doctors.  I once went in for my annual lady check up, and once my exam was over I was told I needed to have a series of tests done on my thyroid.  This morning, I went in for what I assumed was a sinus infection and pink eye, but before my visit was over they had me hooked up to an EKG machine. 

Well, crazy doctor's office visit aside I decided to do some good southern remedies with comfort food and a good long bath.  I started a pot roast around 8 this morning, and followed my plan of a bath.  The bath didn't happen at all.  Something about finding a huge hairy spider in your tub just takes the appeal right down the drain.  Darn it, I still had that pot roast to look forward to.  Five o'clock this evening, I pulled the lid off the crock pot to reveal the most glorious pot roast I had ever made, I grabbed a fork and tasted.

five minutes later, I was on the phone with my mother.  "Momma, I have the flu and pink eye.  I'm in the middle of my monthly lady week, and I'm pretty sure I'm about to get fired from my crappy job.  The worst part though...I can't taste my pot roast."  She laughed.

While over the next two hours my sinuses got worse, my eye started hurting so bad I couldn't open it, my headache throbbed, and my throat stayed swollen.  However, I was forgiven whatever I did to deserve all that.  I sat down between my daughter and husband at the table with my plateful of comfort food, I drank some sweetened iced tea with lemon, and took a bite of my roast.  It was delicious.

Moral:  Enjoy what you can, when you can.  Even if it means eating with one eye closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment