Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things Not Created Equally

There are a great many things that are considered in the same classification by definition.  However, it is in the details these things differ.  I believe some of these details are so distinct that the objects/ideas/beliefs shouldn't even share a category.
 Let's take tea for example.  There is nothing that soothes the savage beast any better than a fresh glass of sweetened tea.  And it can't be too sweet or it gets so nasty that you may find it served in an Asian restaurant or a McDrive-Thru.  Gross, yeah?  If you don't add ice, fake a British accent while you drink it and use honey in place of sugar.  Let's not forget, good tea is strong and hot poured directly over a FULL glass of ice.  Not always will you follow the same recipe and get the same result.  It may be less than or equal to the desired effect.  See?

Another thing that is in the same category but really shouldn't be...addictions.  Some people are alcoholics, drug addicts, repeat sex offenders, gamblers, kleptomaniacs, pyromaniacs, and (like myself) bibliophiles.  Yep, that's right.  I'm addicted to the collecting and reading of books.  It is an addiction.  I have no withdrawals, I break no laws, I neglect no priorities or responsibilities, but I'm magnetically drawn to books to the point I will buy a book before I buy new shoes or go to a movie.  I save money just to get new bookshelves so I have room for new books.  When I have an empty shelf, I have a MIGHTY NEED to fill it.  I feel as though my room is lacking a soul until the shelf is filled.  Vicious cycles begin when I buy one book more than my shelf can hold.

If you walked in early to an AA or NA meeting, and saw someone indulging in their addiction, you may have significant concern for their well being.  No one wants to stand by and witness someone drinking alcohol like water or putting drugs into their body.  If you walk into a Bibliophiles Anonymous meeting a few minutes early and saw someone curled in a cozy corner with a book the reaction would be very different.  Maybe an "oh, that's nice to see a human without a cell phone glued to their face" would be the expected reaction.  See.

No comments:

Post a Comment